About Me

My photo
I usually talk about video games, TV shows and music. I also give advice and reviews. Have fun!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Preconceptions about cats: is it fair?

From the movie Cats & Dogs (2001)


As a proud owner of a one-year-old Siamese, I am now aware that many myths surrounding cats are false. I am stilll an amateur cat-owner, seeing as I've only had one cat for a little over a year. I've had three dogs in the past so people would label me as a "Dog-person". I must admit that I had my qualms about getting a cat a year ago; would they be friendly? Wouldn't it bite my face off? It's going to destroy all the furniture...right?

BUUUUTTT I was wrong. When I adopted a two-month old, tiny little Siamese kitten a little more than a year ago, I fell in love and realized how wrong I was about cats.

People say dogs are like humans when in fact, cats are the ones that act like humans. You can yell at a puppy all you want and it would jump on your face, lick you to death and scamper around you for the whole day, oblivious to the fact that you'd just yelled your head off at it. On the other hand, a kitten receiving a shouting session from you would not be as tolerant. It'd probably hold a grudge against you for hours (or days), sliding coyly around your legs to target a good place to sink its little teeth into for revenge. Now, which one is more human-like in response?

However, that is not to say that cats are cold, evil little beings. They have feelings too. You treat them nice, they will treat you nicely back. If you're mean to it... ohoho! You better wear some thick pants from that day on. In reality, they are the sweetest furry creatures you will find. They get jealous quickly and you will see them mewing for attention if you look the other way for a few seconds. Who says they are lazy? My Siamese kitten was keeping me up all night, wanting to play "soccer" with me. They all have their little personalities, and although it takes time to learn each of them, it is worth it in the end. :)

I myself had no problem with my cat when I first brought him home. Sure, he was a little over-excited and zipped around the whole house, sniffing and prodding, but I remember that my puppies used to do the same. Cats are just as fun and lively as dogs- I've even trained mine to sit and FETCH! They may take more naps, but what's wrong with that? More snuggling and therapeutic purring for you! :)

All in all, I hate the way cats are portrayed as the "bad guy" of all pets, while dogs are "man's best friend"- with the exception of the movie Cats & Dogs. Many laughs were laughed during that movie when I was a kid. It is not that I have a problem with dogs. Dogs are great, cats are great as well. They are different in their own ways, but both are amazing pets to have.

There is no such thing as a person being specifically geared towards one type of pet. You can be a dog person AND a cat person. Don't let one experience of a dog pooping in your shoes or a cat biting your fingers turn you off from getting these furry friends! All of this advice is from personal experience- in the end, it is (of course) up to you to decide which kind of pets you like. All I'm saying is, give each animal a chance and don't let media portrayals of dogs and cats get to you! Spend a day at an animal shelter; you'll see just how sweet and loving cats can be.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment